Articles on: How to get and convert more leads - v4

How to optimize the copy (text) on your website

How to optimize the web copy on your website

What is web copy?

Simply put, “copy” refers to the words on your site.

But there’s a lot more to good web copy than just the words on a site.

Common mistakes

There are 3 common mistakes when it comes to web copy that converts visitors to leads:

Too much text

Social media has drastically changed the way we consume content on a screen. For better or worse, our attention span has shifted from reading paragraphs online to reading captions under photos. Your ModSites design template has taken this into account, which is why you’ll never see more than 2-3 sentences per content block.

You talk about yourself too much

We get it — you put your blood, sweat, and tears into your business. Your passion for helping your customers is unmatched. You have the best staff, programs, and services in town. But — unfortunately — visitors on your site DO NOT CARE. You might think that telling them about your amazing business will convince them. But it won’t.

Visitors are coming to your site because they have a problem. They’re looking for someone who can help them solve that problem. Your web copy should focus 90% on their problem and how they feel about the problem. The remaining 10% can focus on your expertise in solving their problem.

Too confusing

Remember the bit about social media attention spans? Confusing web copy only makes the problem worse. Your web copy should answer two questions in a way a 3rd grader could understand:

- Can you help solve my problem?
- What is my next step?

Optimize your web copy based on your audience

We hired a professional copywriter to generate some content ideas for 3 unique audience types. Use this content as a primer to generate ideas and customize the web copy for your business.

Suburban / Families

Our demographics research shows that many people move to the suburbs to have children. This gym-seeking population is usually middle-aged and older. They enjoy outdoor activities as a family with young to college-age kids.

Ethnic middle ground
Middle-aged & older population
Families with young to college-age kids
Busy schedules
Enjoy outdoor activities

Download the Suburban / Families copy outline >

Urban / Inclusive

Our demographics research shows gym-seekers in big cities are the most ethnically mixed. These are often socially active, educated young professionals who appreciate the urban environment for its diversity.

Ethnically diverse
Socially active
Mostly educated
Young professionals
Fewer parents

Download the Urban / Inclusive copy outline >

Rural / Novice

Our demographics research shows that rural areas have more fitness newbies and homegrown folks who get their exercise from team sports and manual labor. They’re often an older population fighting obesity and chronic disease.

Ethnically homogenous
Older population
Exercise related to team sports and manual labor
Chronic disease & obesity struggles
Mostly new to fitness

Download the Rural / Novice copy outline >

Competitive / Type A

Our demographics research shows that competitive gyms are largely made up of educated Millennials driven for self-improvement. They often follow professional athletes, seek out quality programming and have experience with advanced movements.

Ethnically mixed
Mostly educated Millennials
Advanced athletic skills
Seeking quality programming
Gym is primary social circle

Download the Competitive / Type A copy outline >

How to use these templates

Read each description to find the customer type(s) that most reflect your business.
Download the file
Read through the web copy, making edits and customizations
Update or add content blocks on your site with the new web copy.

Important: DO NOT simply copy/paste this text to your site without first making edits specific to your business and surrounding towns. Duplicate web copy can negatively affect your search results.

Updated on: 17/02/2022

Was this article helpful?

Share your feedback


Thank you!